Friday, May 20, 2011

Radical - David Platt

5/5

Wow.  This book has changed my life.

When I first set out to read Radical by David Platt, I didn't really know what to expect.  I had heard things.  I had witnessed some changes in friends who had decided to dig into the book.  I knew what the word radical meant. But I really had no idea what a little orange book could say that I hadn't already heard throughout my life from pastors and mentors and various religious books.

After the first chapter I decided that this wasn't just any old book.  Halfway through the book I was crying (I do not cry).  By the end of the book I had changed in ways that I didn't even think I was ready for.  God knew better than I did about what kind of change I needed!

Radical is a book by mega church pastor David Platt.  In a sense, its purpose is to get us to discover the radical nature of Jesus Christ.  Platt argues that our culture has so watered down the message of the gospel that we have created our own ideas of who Jesus is and what He would ask of us.  Instead, he encourages us to go straight to the source- scripture.  Through various passages, parables, and personal experiences, Platt lays out a radically simple but honest truth: Jesus wants our all.  He wants all of our love, time, money, hope, worry, future.  He wants our life.

The book also opened my eyes to the idea of global ministry.  It is so easy to get consumed with our daily lives that we forget the community and world that God has put us here to minister to.  Platt makes a case for taking not just the gospel, but ourselves to the nations...it isn't even an option but our call according to Christ.

I won't go into the steps that Platt recommends to begin living this "radical life".  I do appreciate that he gives the reader small steps to take on a path to complete surrender to Jesus.  But to be honest, after reading this book I was ready to sell the house, pack the bags, and start sharing Jesus with Africa!  Of course, I quickly realized that would be crazy, right?  Jesus doesn't want us to be that radical does He?

Platt would argue that he does.  And I have to say, after reading this book, I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment