Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Judgement - Beverly Lewis

3.5/5

The Judgment is the second novel in the Rose Trilogy from popular Amish fiction author Beverly Lewis.  I have a soft spot for Amish fiction and have enjoyed many novels by Beverly Lewis, including the first in this series (The Thorn).  However, as many 2nd novels of a trilogy tend to do, this one fell a little bit short for me.  I found myself want more answers, more plot development and caught myself skimming pages, which is something I rarely do!

In this second installment, Rose Ann must come face to face with the truth that her betrothed has feelings for a girl from his past.  All the while, Rose Ann is dealing with her own yearnings for Nick, the foster son of their bishop who has run off to the "English" world.  Meanwhile, Rose Ann's sister, Hen, is struggling with an impending divorce from her worldly husband, and the tension threatens to tear apart her family and marriage.

There are not many plot twists and turns in this book, only a straightforward and somewhat predictable path leading to the final novel, in which I believe the story lines will all come together nicely.  The Mercy (#3) is due in stores September, 2011, and I look forward to reading it!

Overall, The Judgment is a solid read and offers all the charm, spiritual heart and honest characters that I have come to expect from a Beverly Lewis novel.  I would recommend this book, if only as a bridge between the first novel (The Thorn) and book number three (The Grace).

No comments:

Post a Comment